If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (970) 353-1388

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Tips to Prevent Smoke & Fire Damage to Your Business

10/6/2021 (Permalink)

Fire fighters arriving at commercial fire and smoke bellowing out the windows Call our professionals SERVPRO of Greeley/Windsor, 970-353-1388, to handle your fire/smoke loss.

Reduce Clutter in Your Office

Do you have a stack of papers lying in the corner of your office that is growing bigger every day? Clutter like papers, magazines, boxes, and other paper products in your office is fuel for a potential fire hazard. Try keeping your desk and office clean and free of clutter to reduce the risks of fire. Use file cabinets and drawers to store papers and documents. Store boxes in closets and storage areas rather in the corner of your office or blocking stairwells.

Safely Store Flammable Liquids and Chemicals

If you are working with flammable liquids, chemicals, and/or solvents, make sure you store them in the proper area. Some flammable materials and chemicals may need to be stored in specialized cabinets according to local rules and regulations. For flammable liquids and materials that do not require specialized storage, you still should ensure that they are stored away from any heat source. You also need to make sure that if the liquids or materials off-gas creating flammable vapors that you have proper ventilation. If you do not have proper ventilation, the vapors can build up and ignite from a small spark like a light switch being flipped on or a plug being inserted into an outlet.

Designate a Smoking Area

If you have employees who smoke, designate an area where smoking is only allowed. It is preferable that the area is located outside to reduce smoke odors in the business and fire risks from cigarettes that weren’t fully extinguished. You also need to make sure that you have a proper receptacle for employees to discard their extinguished cigarette butts. Also, make sure that the designated smoking area is away from flammable liquids and materials, i.e., dried grasses, mulch, and dead leaves.

Report Electrical Problems

It is important to let your employees know to report any electrical problems immediately before they result in a potential fire. This could be exposed wiring, frayed cords, faulty wiring, electrical equipment, and sockets near water sources, etc. If you notice an electrical problem in your business, call an electrician to fix it. Do not try to fix any wiring issues yourself as this can also lead to an increased risk of fire due to inexperience and mistakes. It is important to keep access to electrical boxes clear so you can quickly cut the power to an area if there is a risk of fire.

Do not Overload Electrical Outlets

One of the most common causes of fire in a business is an overloaded electrical outlet. An overloaded outlet can cause an increase of heat to the outlet, plugs, and wires. The heat can melt the insulation around the wires causing them to touch and cause sparks. The best scenario is that the circuit breaker flips before the wires short and cause sparks. If the circuit does not flip off, then the heat and the sparks can quickly lead to an electrical fire. If you are always tripping a circuit or notice your desktop lights dimming, then you might be overloading the outlet. To reduce the load, move some electronics to other outlets.

Be Smart & Be Safe

These are just a few tips that you can follow to reduce the risks of smoke and fire damage to your business. The best advice to keep your business safe from fire is to be smart and be aware. Use common sense when at your business. While you do not want to be known as a mean business owner by prohibiting things like candles and space heaters, you also do not want to increase the risk of fire occurring at your business. I think most workers will understand that safety is more important than convenience and comfort in these situations.

Contact the Fire & Smoke Damage Professionals if a Fire Does Occur

Hopefully, your business will never experience a fire. Not only can a fire cause a lot of property damage, but it can also lead to a lot of downtime and loss of revenue. If you should experience a fire at your Greeley/Windsor business, contact the fire and smoke damage experts . We can quickly clean up and restore any damage that has occurred to your business. SERVPRO of Greeley/Windsor has the resources and expertise to handle any size disaster. Contact us today at 970-353-1388, we answer our phone 24/7/365 which puts faster onsite.

Other News

View Recent Posts